USS Asheville: Los Angeles-Class Attack Sub


At Point Loma, San Diego, I toured the USS Asheville, a Los Angeles-class attack submarine. While not a public tour, I was able to take photos. You get a real sense of how cramped a submarine is, even modern ones. All the moving parts, machinery, electronics, and equipment make for a very tight environment…especially for someone like me at 6 foot 5 inches tall. The Asheville, SSN-758, was launched in 1990 and joined the fleet in 1991. She is a nuclear powered boat, and I did not get to see that part of the submarine…but I saw enough to impress that these subs are really wonders of modern science and machinery…

Outside the Sub

     



     

     

     


     

     







Inside the Sub

     



     

     

     


     

     

     

     

     

     


*****